The Volvo needed some work done and that’s put me in downtown Salt Lake this morning. Since the dealership is close to the library I decided to make it my base of operations for the day. This is my second time to visit the library in Salt Lake, and it’s truly a stunning piece of architecture. The best part has to be the signage though. It was actually designed by Pentagram, and the type is beautiful.
On my previous visit to the library I had a strange encounter in the bathroom. I opened the door and there in the loo was a man naked taking what looked like a sponge bath in the sink. Strange. Well, I was a little early this morning and had to wait about an hour outside and noticed the closer it got to 9AM the more homeless men started showing up. I guess word got out about the bathrooms.
The best find of this eventful morning has to be the collection of zines the library has. The image at the top of the post is a few that I thought were pretty cool. Of interest, most of these were put out in 2000 yet their designs seems to be very current. Perhaps it’s the whole xeroxed and hand written element. One day I think I’ll start my own zine.
Here is a list of this mornings happenings:
• Loaded Susan’s iMac to take to the Apple store.
• Drove off with my sunglasses on the roof of the car.
• Sunglasses fell off a couple blocks later.
• Foul mouthed Wyoming butted in line at the dealership.
• Watch homeless man wake up.
• Helped blind man cross the street on his way to the bank.
• Got the guy sitting across from me connected to the wireless access point.